Grant Olsen is a Managing Partner at VSO Petroleum Consultants. He joined the firm in 2012 and has led engineering evaluation efforts on numerous projects throughout the Lower 48 and Gulf of Mexico. Grant’s work has focused on buy-side engineering due diligence, evaluating active client investments in E&P, reserves reports, and co-managing VSO’s day-to-day activities.
Representative Experience / Projects:
- Generated evaluations for multiple tertiary recovery projects throughout the Rockies, Permian Basin, and Texas Gulf Coast.
- Led a team to perform technical due diligence on a commercial bank’s marketed portfolio of reserves-based loans for upstream operators on behalf of an investor consortium.
- Assisted a Delaware Basin mineral holder in estimating long-term asset potential and exploring strategic options.
- Reviewed an extensive non-operated investment opportunity throughout the STACK play in Oklahoma.
- Evaluated DrillCo opportunities in the Southern Midland Basin on behalf two large credit-focused asset management firms.
- Led VSO evaluation efforts for numerous borrowing base redeterminations of operators having assets in the Midland, Anadarko, Appalachian, Powder River, San Juan, and Green River Basins.
- Directed engineering efforts for restructuring processes focused on operators in the Gulf of Mexico, Eagle Ford Shale, and Haynesville Shale.
- Delivered western Eagle Ford supply study to aid build-out efforts of midstream company, including an assessment of remaining inventory, well performance expectations, and pace of development.
- Aided mineral buyers with evaluations of certain assets in the Anadarko Basin, Eagle Ford Shale, and Appalachian Basin.
- Generated completion procedures and workover proposals for East Texas Cotton Valley assets.
- Led reservoir engineering and project management on multi-well Haynesville development of single 640-acre section which reached peak rate of 197 MMcf/D.
Summary of Experience and Affiliations:
Grant provides consulting services with an emphasis on reservoir engineering studies and oil & gas property evaluations. Prior to joining VSO Petroleum Consultants in 2012, Grant served in various Reservoir and Production Engineering roles with Encana Oil & Gas (USA) and Devon Energy, and as a Business Analyst at McKinsey & Company. Grant obtained his B.S. (2004, Magna Cum Laude) and M.S. (2010) Degrees from Texas A&M University. Grant is currently an MBA candidate at The Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania (expected graduation in 2023). He is a Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Texas, and a Member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), the Society of Petroleum Evaluation Engineers (SPEE), and the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA). Mr. Olsen has co-authored four SPE technical papers on the topics of oil & gas reserves and petroleum economics.