Justin Funk joined VSO Petroleum Consultants in 2020 in the Houston Office. He provides geological and geophysical consulting services with a focus on type curve area designations, prospect evaluations, and reservoir quality analysis for E&P, midstream, and financial firms. Justin has conventional and unconventional experience in all major basins in the Lower 48 and Gulf of Mexico.
Representative Experience / Projects:
- Type Curve Area Designation – Generated regional and prospect scale type curve areas across key basins including all major Permian Basin provinces, Gulf Coast Eagle Ford and Austin Chalk, Anadarko Basin, DJ Basin, Powder River Basin, Appalachian Basin, Williston Basin, East Texas, and Louisiana. Corroborated geotechnical analysis and key productivity drivers with available vertical & horizontal production to provide clients with high confidence type curve areas.
- Basinwide Play Fairway Analysis – Evaluated major basins in the Lower 48 and generated high-graded play fairways in key reservoirs by integrating multiple geotechnical data sets including petrophysics, mud logs, pressure, geochemistry, seismic, and production data. Prepared “off the shelf” products have helped E&P, midstream, and financial institutions quickly evaluate new opportunities.
- Field Studies & Prospect Evaluation – Generated key subsurface attributes for producing and prospective oil & gas assets, analyzed all aspects for a working petroleum system, generated recoverable hydrocarbons model, and identified infill or recomplete potential. Experience providing clients with evaluations in shale, sandstone, carbonate, and hybrid reservoirs in both conventional and unconventional porosity/permeability environments.
- Field Operations – Experience designing and executing vertical and horizontal drilling programs, directional drilling or geo-steering support, onsite acquisition of coring and advanced logging programs, and the acquisition of 3D seismic programs and VSPs at the wellhead.
- Technical Projects – Experience in the acquisition, processing, and interpretation of seismic datasets in onshore and offshore projects. Developed several prospects utilizing 3D seismic interpretation, AVO analysis, and seismic inversion. Collected and analyzed multiple core, geochemical, and logging datasets to develop geologic models including depositional environments, sand fairways, pore-pressure regimes, fluid barriers, trapping mechanisms, and preferred landing zones.
Summary of Experience and Affiliations:
Prior to joining VSO, Mr. Funk served Anadarko Petroleum Corporation as Geoscience Manager in the US Onshore Exploration team where he was responsible for evaluating new opportunities across the Lower 48, generating new prospects, and executing exploration drilling programs. Prior to Anadarko, Mr. Funk served various technical roles as geophysicist for development and exploration teams at Apache Corporation and Devon Energy Corporation. Mr. Funk graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in 2007 (M.S. Geophysics) and The University of Northern Iowa in 2005 (B.S. Geology).